The International Boys’ Schools Coalition is an international membership organization that has developed a global coalition of schools that is dedicated to enhancing the development of boys through education. Collectively, we are champions of boys’ education, seeking to understand and improve learning practices for boys everywhere. Membership to the IBSC offers the opportunity to connect with dynamic professionals around the world who share a commitment and passion for advancing schools and the learning experiences of boys.
- Our Primary Focus
- Why should you join?
- Why Schools for Boys?
- IBSC Annual Conference
- Ongoing Action Research
- Tools and Resources
Our Primary Focus
- Identifying and sharing effective teaching philosophies to guide boys on their journey to manhood;
- Working with schools and educational leaders to equip boys with tools to enable lives of achievement, personal fulfilment, compassion, and leadership;
- Discovering and sharing this knowledge among teaching professionals worldwide.
Why Should You Join?
- Join an international alliance of schools looking to champion boys’ education.
- Discover the best learning practices for boys.
- Connect with passionate teaching professionals worldwide.
- Attend the international IBSC Annual Conference and other regional conferences focused on schools for boys.
- Access the annual Student Forum.
- Participate in online learning opportunities and share pioneering initiatives in the education of boys.
- Embrace professional exchange opportunities.
- Share and contribute to research on best learning practices for boys.
- Access the IBSC website data and global forum on boys’ issues.
Why Schools for Boys?
Boys’ schools are focused on preparing boys, through the self-definitions they develop, the decisions they make, and the relationships they forge, for their part in a globally connected world. The nature of boys’ schools has changed and continues to evolve. As such, the IBSC seeks to enhance the culture within boys’ schools to unlock the potential of boys around the world, by improving educational practices. Boys’ schools foster high-quality attributes within boys and promote their ability to:
- Teach boys to become good men;
- Live with integrity, resilience, and strength of character;
- Build compassionate and supportive natures;
- Think creatively and imaginatively;
- Forge strong friendships and comraderies that last a lifetime;
- Be better listeners and communicators;
- Establish passion for the arts – music, drama, dance, visual arts;
- Navigate thoughtfully through the world of social media; and
- Build the foundations for many more desirable attributes on their journey to adulthood.
IBSC Members have exclusive access
IBSC Annual Conference
The IBSC Annual Conference is recognized as being the premier professional development opportunity for those dedicated to the best learning practices for boys. Hosted annually at member schools around the world, the IBSC Annual Conference connects educators to unveil, discover and discuss leading educational practices and improved teaching methods, and foster the exchange of knowledge and ideas. The sharing of these ideas continues throughout the year with regional conferences all over the world and online professional development opportunities.
Ongoing Action Research
In 2005, the IBSC launched ‘Action Research in Boys’ Schools’ – a program that encourages collaboration between educators in member schools from around the world. Research teams have since completed projects and reported findings at the IBSC Annual Conferences in South Africa, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the United States, and the United Kingdom. More than 300 teachers have participated in the program. Many of those 300 Action Researchers were so inspired by the experience they have become instructional leaders for action research in their schools. Each September, the IBSC announces the topic for the next round of action research, and invites applications from teachers in member schools.
Tools and Resources
Members of the IBSC can access a vast library through the members-only portal on the IBSC website that includes new research findings and reports, ebooks, professional growth and faculty and administrative skills information, online professional development and employment opportunities. The IBSC will stay connected with members to ensure you network with the IBSC community, share current news, and highlight upcoming events. Your IBSC membership offers the best possible opportunity to connect, share, and celebrate your passion for educating boys with colleagues around the world.