Mastery Practice in Teaching Boys
5 February – 2 March 2018
Experienced teachers, continue your professional growth on the journey to becoming a master teacher in a boys’ school. Boost your expertise in best practices for teaching boys and creating an optimal learning environment for them. Gain guidance on essential elements of mastery teaching for boys, including:
- Foundational Relationships: Reflect on the ways strong relationships with students lay a foundation for teaching that both challenges and supports boys in their growth.
- Cultivating Professional Character: Identify strengths and areas for growth among the four leadership functions of mastery teaching.
- Building Classroom Climate: Determine what kind of classroom climate you aspire to create and which aspects of climate-building are your strengths.
- Conducting Intentionally Thoughtful Practice: Learn practices of mastery teaching in boys’ schools and reflect on the use of these practices in your own class.
- Cultivating Situational Judgment: Reflect on the practical implications of mastery teaching in classroom situations and identify ways to deliberately develop situational judgment.
- Action Planning: Create a plan to journey toward mastery, identifying challenges you may face and resources you can access.
Reflect on your teaching practice using research from the in-depth study Mastery Practice in Teaching Boys. Drawing from this rich research along with classroom learning and discussion, prepare to:
- Identify sources of personal challenge on the road to mastery and resources for further development.
- Create an action plan to guide your journey to mastery.
- Develop a common understanding of “mastery” in a boys' school setting and within your specific school culture.
- Establish a worldwide network of peers to support you as you continue to evolve as a master teacher.
Who Should Attend?
Aspiring master teachers. Faculty members should have at least three years of experience in a boys’ school setting and aspire to a career in boys’ education.
Classes run asynchronously, so there is no specific time each week when you must attend online. Plan to spend at least 3-5 hours each week the class is in session. Coursework and assignments for each unit open Monday morning; please complete this work by the following Sunday evening. Grace periods are given, but interaction proves more effective when the entire class works on the same topic. Connect and collaborate with fellow aspiring master teachers through a variety of interactive media, including short videos and discussion boards.
Completing the four-week experience leads to:
- A clear vision of what it means to thrive in an all-boys school.
- In-depth knowledge of ways to create a classroom atmosphere and curriculum that maximize how boys learn.
- An an international support network of dedicated boys' educators who you can continue to collaborate with even after the course concludes.
- IBSC member rate: US$ 445
- Nonmember rate: US$ 575