Schools of Character
Developing Expertise as Educators in 21st Century Schools for Boys
October 15 – November 8, 2019
IBSC and the Centre for Innovation, Research, Creativity, and Leadership in Education (CIRCLE) offer this introduction to the theory and practice of character education in boys’ schools. It helps you improve your insight, approach, and practice as educators of character and become leaders and advocates for character education in your school. Designed for all frontline educators with a passion for character development in boys, the class helps you make a positive impact on the teaching and learning culture of your school. It also offers school leaders and administrators a rigorous introduction to key approaches to the pedagogy of character education and design of schools for character. IBSC’s global research on character education conducted by CIRCLE from 2016-18 frames this online class. Published in 2018 Character Education in Schools for Boys presents research on the experience of hundreds of school leaders, teachers, and students from 48 boys’ schools globally. CIRCLE has honed program content further working with a network of schools of character.
Take advantage of this opportunity to:
- Develop a critical understanding of the nature and components of a 21st century education for character and competency.
- Locate, probe, and reflect on the fluency of your purpose and effectiveness of your practice as an educator for character.
- Position this purpose and practice into a framework for character education in your school.
- Cultivate the skills and knowledge required to contribute to the process of building a professional community of practice and inquiry into character education at your school.
- Gain knowledge and perspective by engaging with a global network of educators in boys’ schools.
Create your own flexible timetable in this asynchronous online class; there is no specific time each week when you must attend online. Plan to spend at least 3-5 hours each week the class is in session.
Engage in rigorous and accessible content including short readings and videos. Hands-on materials help you reflect on your professional practice and relate concretely to your school. Content is always accessible and manageable so you can balance class requirements with busy school schedules and commitments.
Consistent with best practice in online education, completing this course earns a certificate from the CIRCLE and IBSC. At the end of each unit, you must choose exercises to complete. During the week you respond to these postings and join virtual discussions with class instructors and educators worldwide.
- Week 1: Character, Competencies, and the Graduate Profile in 21st Century Schools for Boys
- Week 2: Locating My Purpose: Why Do I Teach for Character?
- Week 3: Sharing and Leading Professional Practice Within a Framework for Character Education
CIRCLE — The Centre for Innovation, Research, Creativity and Leadership in Education Pty Ltd. equips, empowers, and enables schools, organizations, and leaders to act wisely, think strategically, and use resources well. CIRCLE understands education and leadership. Currently, it supports the work of more than 1,750 schools, educational bodies, and other organizations across Australia, New Zealand, Asia-Pacific, and internationally. Drawing on the extensive experience of its team members, CIRCLE tailors sustainable solutions for schools and organizations to improve their performance by building cultures of excellence in leadership and learning.
About the Facilitator
Brad Adams, CIRCLE Director of Education
Brad Adams has 25 years of experience in university administration, teaching, and school leadership in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, most recently at Upper Canada College (Canada). Until 2014, he served as executive director of IBSC, initiating best in class practice and collaborative research to benefit member schools worldwide. He shares CIRCLE’s passion for and commitment to unleashing the leadership potential of teachers and schools to improve student learning.
- IBSC member rate: US $445
- Nonmember rate: US $ 575
- IBSC South Africa member rate: US $355
IBSC will refund 90% of registration fees if a written request is received two weeks prior to the class. No refunds will be made for cancellations received after this time. Schools seeking to register an alternate to replace a participant unable to attend should contact IBSC@theibsc.org.