The Tech Solution
Creating Healthy Habits for Boys Growing Up in a Digital World
July 12 - August 9, 2021
“New research now shows that screen time is correlated with changes in the brain and that children and young teens are particularly vulnerable. Near epidemic levels of teenage and young adult suicides, lack of motivation, and social isolation are alarming. The Tech Solution pulls no punches, but fortunately offers all of us hope and practical, straightforward guidelines for how to protect our most important resource: the next generations’ brains.”
—Daniel Levitin, Ph.D., New York Times best-selling author of Successful Aging
The world has changed and a key skill for our students’ health, happiness, and success is knowing how to use the power of technology in service of their goals rather than become servants to tech manipulations.
Join fellow boys’ educators in this global online class led by award-winning, Harvard-trained psychiatrist and No. 1 best-selling author Shimi Kang for a fascinating journey through the tech habits children need to achieve their full potential.
Take advantage of this exceptional opportunity to engage directly with Dr. Kang using her newest book, The Tech Solution, Creating Healthy Habits for Kids Growing Up in a Digital World, to:
- Examine cutting-edge neuroscience that reveals a new understanding around how we metabolize experiences with technology that will lay the foundation for lasting success in our digital world.
- Explore the short-term potential and long-term consequences of tech use.
- Get practical advice for tackling specific concerns in the classroom such as tech addiction, anxiety, cyberbullying, or loneliness.
- Help your students build healthy habits and make smart choices that maximize the benefits of tech and minimize its risks.
- Develop a six-step plan to put healthy tech habits into action and reset unhealthy habits.
Engage on your own flexible timetable in this four-week long, asynchronous class. Each week Dr. Kang frames the lessons of The Tech Solution through an educator’s lens. She offers:
- Thoughts and questions for educators to consider while reading the text;
- Precise resources for educators including research, articles, videos, and columns specific to the role of educators in boys’ lives;
- A case study to explore with fellow boys’ educators in the class; and
- A captivating discussion around a central question or theme in the reading.
If you have yet to read the book, expect to spend five to six hours per week engaged in the class. If you already read the book, then plan to spend three to four hours each week. Classes run asynchronously, so there is no specific time each week when you must attend online — you choose to participate whenever it’s most convenient for you. Classwork and assignments for each unit open Monday morning; please complete this work by the following Sunday evening. Grace periods are given, but interaction proves more effective when the entire class works on the same topic.
Take advantage of this amazing opportunity!
About Shimi Kang, Class Facilitator
Dr. Shimi Kang is an award-winning, Harvard-trained doctor, researcher, media expert, writer, and keynote speaker. She is the author of The Dolphin Parent: A Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy, and Self-Motivated Kids and The Self Motivated Kid. A No. 1 bestseller, The Dolphin Parent won the 2015 U.S. News International Book Award in the parenting and family category. She hosts Mental Wealth with Dr. Shimi Kang on YouTube and is the founder of Dolphin Kids: Future-Ready Leaders social-emotional learning programs for students, teachers, and parents around the world.
An adolescent addiction psychiatrist, Dr. Kang is the former medical director for child and youth mental health for the Vancouver community and currently a clinical associate professor at the University of British Columbia. She has helped countless children, adolescents, and adults move toward positive behaviors and better health. Dr. Kang received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012, and the 2016 YWCA Woman of Distinction Award for her years of outstanding community service in health and wellness. She is the proud mother of three amazing and exhausting children — including two boys!
- IBSC member rate: US $445
- Nonmember rate: US $575
- IBSC South Africa member rate: US $355
IBSC will refund 90% of registration fees if a written request is received two weeks prior to the class. No refunds will be made for cancellations received after this time. Schools seeking to register an alternate to replace a participant unable to attend should contact IBSC@theibsc.org.
Please note: Watch your email for login information for your online class the Friday before the class starts. If you registered for the class later than this time, watch for login information within 24 business hours.