A Course for Teachers New to Boys' Schools
October 2 – 27, 2023
An IBSC Online Class
Connect and collaborate with other teachers to explore best practice and research in boys' classrooms in this online course created specifically for teachers newly hired at boys' schools. Learn from panels of school heads, alumni, experienced teachers, and new teachers from around the globe. Discover ways to create a collaborative, student-centered learning space, including how technology can help achieve your goals. Ultimately, you'll gain a sharper understanding of what it means to work in a boys' school and how you can cultivate a classroom atmosphere and curriculum that maximize how boys learn. Plus, you'll develop a personal network of peers worldwide to rely on long after the course concludes.
By the end of the four-week experience, you'll:
- Have a clear sense of what it means to work in an all-boys school;
- Understand ways to create a classroom atmosphere and curriculum that maximize how boys learn; and
- Connect with an international cohort of first-year faculty members.
Classes run asynchronously, so there is no specific time each week when you must attend online. Plan to spend at least 3-5 hours each week the class is in session. Plus, take advantage of the opportunity to collaborate and engage in discussion with colleagues.
- IBSC member rate: US $445
- Nonmember rate: US $575
- IBSC South Africa member rate: US $355
Please note: Login information for your online course is sent the Friday before the course is scheduled to open. If you registered for the course after the Friday before the course beings, login information will be sent within 24 business hours.
IBSC will refund 90% of registration fees if a written request is received two weeks prior to the class. No refunds will be made for cancellations received after this time. Schools seeking to register an alternate to replace a participant unable to attend should contact IBSC@theibsc.org.
97% of participants said they would recommend this course to a colleague.
100% of participants said they were offered regular and helpful feedback on their work in the course.
100% of participants said the content met the learning objectives for the course.
"I thought I knew a lot about teaching boys, but this course opened my eyes to many aspects about teaching them that I wasn't aware about. It is a great introduction to teaching at an all boys school!" — Educator from Selwyn House School (Canada)
"This course was informative, insightful, and interesting. I now have the tools I need to 'speak boy.'" — Educator from St. Augustine's College (Australia)
"A 'must-do' course for any teacher new to boys' schools. It could make a steep learning curve more manageable and while it can't replace experience, it can certainly put you in a position to gain the most from your experience." — Educator from Michaelhouse (South Africa)
Two Opportunities for Teachers New to Boys' Schools
IBSC offers two professional development opportunities for teachers new to boys’ schools.
- The IBSC online class Single-Gender Education: A Course for Teachers New to Boys’ Schools explores best practice and research in boys' classrooms in an online course format. The class runs asynchronously, so you choose when to complete the 3-5 hours of participation each of the three weeks it runs. IBSC hosts this online class several times each year to fit your schedule best.
- The IBSC Teachers New to Boys’ Schools Collaboration connects peers to nurture lifelong professional friendships and build mutual support structures. This yearlong global program helps you develop your specialty as a teacher of boys and understand what it means to work in a boys’ school.
While you may engage in either opportunity individually or in any order, IBSC recommends taking the online class first. Then engage in the networking collaboration to gain maximum benefit. Members who participate in both programs receive a discounted rate.
Contact Bruce Collins at email@example.com for details on applying the discount during registration.