Building Blocks for Boys, MAR'16
IBSC-UK Regional Conference
Building Blocks for Boys – Optimising the Learning Environment
Wednesday, 2 March 2016
The Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’ School
Elstree, Hertfordshire, England
Building Blocks for Boys – Optimising the Learning Environment which was led by Professor Peter Barrett and Lisa Freedman. The aim of this conference was to support staff in developing their understanding learning spaces and learning environments for boys.
Our featured speakers were Professor Peter Barrett, MSc, PhD, DSc, FRICS from the University of Salford and Lisa Freedman, BA(Hons), MA, journalist and education consultant. Review the Speaker page for complete details and keynote topics.
We also offered an ONLINE LIVE STREAMING option (ONLY for those who live outside the UK and Europe). This marks the first time we were able to provide the opportunity for IBSC Member Schools from around the globe to participate in a regional conference.
Our featured speakers are Professor Peter Barrett, MSc, PhD, DSc, FRICS from the University of Salford and Lisa Freedman, BA(Hons), MA, journalist and education consultant. Review the Speaker page for complete details and keynote topics.
Online Streaming Access Details
- Link for IBSC Conference Live Stream
- Note for Mac users: you must open this link with Google Chrome; Safari does not support the stream.
- The direct email into the room is IBSC@habsboys.org.uk. This will be monitored throughout both sessions.
- We will email the paperwork to the virtual attendees a few minutes before the first presentation commences.
- We will not be streaming the breaks nor lunch.
Podcasts and Other Materials
The podcasts are available until further notice. No login details are required. You can find the various sessions at:
- The Classroom Environment – John Maguire
- Clever Classrooms for Enhanced Education – Peter Barrett
- Clever Classrooms Pt 2 – Peter Barrett
- Building Schools for the Future – Lisa Freedman
As with the live stream, Mac users will need to use Google Chrome to view these recordings because Safari does not support the dual-encoded video playback.
Timing and Location of Events
|09.30 AM||Registration and coffee
Mr. Jim Hawkins – Head Master, Harrow School on behalf of IBSC
Mr. Peter Hamilton – Headmaster, HABS
Mr. Matthew Judd – Second Master, HABS
|10.15 AM||'The HABS Context'
Mr. John Maguire – Deputy Head (Academic), HABS
||Keynote 1, part 1
Professor Peter Barrett PhD
The focus of this session will be on the impact of the characteristics of the physical spaces provided in schools on the educational outcomes achieved by pupils
|11.45 AM||Keynote 1, part 2
Professor Peter Barrett PhD
|12:30PM||Tour (School Library, Medburn Centre, new style classrooms)||Old Refectory
|13.00PM||Lunch (informal Buffet)
|14.15 PM||Keynote 2
Ms Lisa Freedman
Building Schools for the Future
A survey of which independent schools are building what, and why? This talk will look at a number of leading school’s approaches to building programmes over the past decade
|15.15 PM||Round up, plenary
Led by Mr. Judd and Mr. Maguire
|15.45/16.00 PM||Closing remarks
Followed by tea and departure
- IBSC Member Rate is approximately £80/person ($125 USD)
- Non-Member Rate is approximately £110/person for non member schools ($170 USD)
- Online Streaming Rate is $50 USD
So that those not from UK/Europe may participate in the conference, we are offering for the first time an online streaming option. This registration option provides for online streaming of the keynote and plenary sessions.
The Online Streaming option is AVAILABLE ONLY to those NOT from UK or EUROPE.
- Registration is payable in USD by Visa, MasterCard, bank wire, or cheque.