Developing Agency: Boy Voice and Choice
Top 10 Action Research Reports for 2019-2020
The following researcher was awarded the top research project for the 2020 cohort.
Katy Mellor, St. Stithians Boys' College
Taking Charge: Developing Self-Efficacy in Grade 8 Boys through a Self-Determined and Project-Based Learning Program
Katy received this award for the completion of a highly innovative action research project of the highest standard, and for their valuable contribution to the IBSC research community.
All of the reports fulfilled demanding criteria:.
- The report was well written, pitched at appropriate level, and followed the structure provided.
- The project itself served as an example of genuine and rigorous action research.
- The "action" proved appropriate and relevant in the school environment.
- The project provided valuable findings on the overarching topic Collaboration and the Power of Group Learning.
- The literature review included synthesized, not just described, relevant literature.
- The literature referenced directly boys' education.
- Data analysis was sound and conclusions were appropriately drawn.
Other reports noted as the top 10 are listed below.
- Kate Cowan - Genius Time: Student Choice in Character Education
- Andrew Doodson - Chasing Curiosity: Using Autonomy to Promote Boys’ Creativity
- Anné Du Plessis - Cogito Ergo Sum: Courage and Agency in Ethical Decision-Making
- Stephen Krawec - We’re a Family: Fostering Community Through Boy Voice and Choice
- Helen MacDonald - Giving Boys a Voice to Propose Solutions to World Challenges
- Abigail Mills - Sharing Goals, Building Grit: Goal-Setting Theory's Effect on the Academic Resilience of Boys in Algebra II
- Luke Rawle - Empowering Boys as Teachers Through Peer Tutoring
- Claire Rey - Boys as Journalists: Creating Agency in a Language Classroom
- Greg Ryerson - 4C Action Plans: A Pathway to Self-Efficacy
- Daniel Wightman - Boys Using Creative Writing to Showcase Their Voices