Starting in February 2018, researchers will actively engage in the program as follows:
- February 2018: Researchers will review the main action research website and submit a short biographical introduction and photo to the Program Coordinator to post on the site.
- March – June 2018: Researchers will meet their Team Advisors and participate in guided online discussions with fellow researchers. Researchers will familiarize themselves with the various technologies used for these interactions. Discussions will focus on selected readings on both the action research process and the research topic. Researchers must complete short, online activities based on these readings, which will guide the development of their final research proposal.The recommended text for the program is Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators (5th Ed) by Craig A. Mertler.
- 6 – 8 July 2018: Researchers will attend a two-day orientation and training program at The Southport School, Gold Coast, Australia. The training starts at 9:00 AM on Friday, 6 July, and concludes at 2:00 PM on Sunday, 8 July.
- 8 – 10 July 2018: Following orientation and training, researchers will attend the 2018 IBSC Annual Conference hosted by The Southport School.
- July/August 2018 – May 2019: Supported online through the stages of the project by a Team Advisor and fellow researchers, researchers will undertake an action research project in their school. They will actively participate in regular online discussions during the project period, and will meet the deadlines laid out for completing the stages of research and presentation of findings. Researchers must submit the first submission, a detailed research proposal, by the middle of August 2018, so please factor this deadline into any holiday plans after the IBSC Annual Conference.
- May 2019: Researchers will submit their action research findings as a written report or alternate final product approved by the Program Coordinator. The written report will range 3,000 – 5,000 words. The researcher must ensure the report is formally edited and correctly referenced, using the APA guidelines. IBSC reserves the right to further edit the final report in preparation for publishing on its website. Participants seeking to publish or present their projects elsewhere will be encouraged to do so, but must appropriately acknowledge IBSC as the sponsoring organization.
- May – June 2019: Researchers will produce a short multimedia presentation and a poster of their action research project for display and presentation at the IBSC Annual Conference. The presentation and the poster will be published with the report on the IBSC website as a resource for educators.
- 25 June 2019: Researchers will meet with their Team Advisor and fellow researchers the day before the 2019 IBSC Annual Conference opens at Selwyn House School in Montreal, Canada, to finalize and share their presentations ahead of the conference.
- 26 – 29 June 2019: Researchers will attend the 2019 IBSC Annual Conference at Selwyn House School and present their research findings in workshop sessions.